Keep in mind...
You may want some achievements to be open to all students and others to be targeted to a specific group/cohort (i.e. First-Year Experience). You might also want to create an achievement now but refrain from making it accessible to students just yet. Is there an achievement that should only be available to a small cohort of students? Do you want to draft a badge now and segment it later? If so, we've got you covered!
Who should be able to achieve the badge?
In the achievement creation wizard, you will be able to select a special segment in the Students tab - this means that a select list of students will have access to the badge. As you create the badge, you will be prompted with the following question:
- Selecting Yes would allow the achievement to be viewed, tracked, and achieved by all students.
- If there's a special segment of students you'd like to offer the achievement to, selecting No would prompt you to upload a specific list of students or segment to one or more class standings (i.e. Sophomore, Junior, etc.).
- Selecting Choose later would make this badge invisible to all students until you uploaded a list, selected class standing(s), or made it accessible to all students. Choose later is a great option for when you want to draft a badge ahead of time and wait to make it accessible for a specific event, time period, etc.
Selecting a Segmentation
Some notes on selecting a segment:
- Multiple class standings can be selected.
- If you reach the "Select students" page viewed above, Go back will allow you to return to the original question and select all students.
Updating Student List after selecting Choose later
- Once you're ready to make the badge accessible to all students or a segment of students, select Edit in the bottom right corner of the badge within the Achievements tab.
- Select Students.
- From there, select the toggle to allow all students to track the badge or select student segments/upload a custom list of students (more info within the Uploading a Custom List section below).
Uploading a Custom List
To create an achievement that should only be available to a specific list of students, you can upload an Excel file of students. The achievement would only be visible to the students in the file you upload.
- Click (as indicated in the above image).
- Download Template.
- Upload the completed file.
Notes on uploading a custom list of students:
- The file must be in spreadsheet/CSV format.
- File should contain one column with a header row and a list of the students' email addresses.
- There is a template available for download to assist with proper formatting - click Download Template as pictured above.
Rules of Segmented Achievements:
- When creating an achievement, you can either select predefined segments or upload a custom list of students. If you need to do both, there are two steps to complete this:
- Create the achievement with the desired class standing segmentation.
- Find this new achievement in your Achievements tab.
- Click the Edit button on the achievement to return to the achievement wizard. From there, you can upload a custom file to add more students while still keeping your original selected segmentation.
- When editing an achievement's segmentation, you can only perform one segment update at a time. If you need to update the selected class standings and upload a file, you must do each operation separately.
- You can update the students who have access to an achievement at any time by editing the achievement.
- Existing and future students that belong to a selected class standing will have access to the achievement.
- Once a student has access to an achievement, you cannot remove the achievement from them.
If you have additional questions, chat with us below or send us an email at email@example.com.