Keep in mind...
- When viewing your site as a Test Student, you will NOT be able to view or open Suitable content.
- When adding an activity from Suitable as an assignment in Canvas, the completion instructions in the Suitable activity will be copied to Canvas. Be sure to review and edit the assignment completions instructions in Canvas BEFORE publishing the assignment.
Before we begin...
Navigate to your Canvas site.
Section 1: Adding Content from Suitable to the Course + Gradebook
1. From your dashboard, choose the course that you would like to work within.
2. In the left side of the screen, navigate down to the Settings section, then choose the 'Navigation' tab at the top of the screen.
3. Here, you'll want to locate the two rows for 'Suitable Dashboard', then drag and drop those rows into the desired location on your Course Navigation bar.
Note that 'Suitable' may be replaced with the name of your school's Suitable pathway.
4. Then, click 'Save' at the bottom of the screen.
5. Now, let's add content from Suitable. Navigate to the Assignments tab on the left side.
NOTE: if you would like to link an activity in Suitable to a Module instead, follow these same steps, but navigate to the Modules tab rather than the Assignments tab.
6. Choose the Assignment Settings option, next to the blue '+Assignment' button.
7. From here, locate the Course Builder for your specific program. This will take you to the Suitable Course Builder.
8. Within the Suitable Course Builder, you have varying options for searching for and filtering the activity list.
You can search for content on this page if you know the specific activity you are looking to bring in, or filter the list according to activity type. The filtering options are Tasks, Events, Achievements, Point Totals, or Experience Sets.
Note that all activities must be created in Suitable first in order for you to be able to link them to your course in Canvas. If what you are looking for does not yet exist, sign in at app.suitable.co and add the activity.
9. To add activities, simply click on the activity you are interested in adding.
10. Note that the default content source for all activities will be Suitable.
This will mean that once students complete an activity within Suitable, a completion grade of 1 will be sent to Canvas. If a student does not complete an activity, the corresponding assignment in Canvas will remain blank.
You can also switch the content source to Canvas if it is relevant to the activity. This will mean that all completions within Canvas will be sent to Suitable, instead of completions within Suitable sending to Canvas. In this case, you will also need to create a separate assignment within Canvas for students to complete, then, when grading, you will add a ‘0’ or ‘1’/’100’ in the Suitable assignment to indicate completion (0 for no completion/no points; 1 or 100 for completion/points).
11. Once you have selected all of the activities that you'd like to add for now, click on the blue 'Sync Content to Course' button at the top to migrate the activities to your course in Canvas.
12. You will then be able to see the activity under the Assignments tab...
13. ...and in the Gradebook as well.
14. The final step will be to ensure that the assignment is published. Navigate back to your 'Assignments' tab.
NOTE: these instructions also apply to Modules. Work within the Modules tab instead of the Assignments tab.
15. Click on the 'Unpublished' indicator to the right of the assignment to publish the assignment. It is now available for students to complete and earn credit for in Canvas and Suitable!
Section 2: Syncing your Roster and Grades
This step should be completed whenever you want the data in your gradebook to be refreshed for all students in the course.
1. Within your course, navigate to the Assignments tab and choose the Assignment Settings option, next to the blue '+Assignment' button.
2. Locate the Course Builder for your program and click through. You will be brought back to the Suitable Course Builder.
3. Within the Course Builder, click the 'Sync Grades and Roster' option.
You will receive an email once the sync has successfully completed.
Section 3: Removing Content
1. If you need to remove content from your course and gradebook after it has been synced from Suitable, first start by removing them from your Assignments page.
2. Once you've located the assignment you would like to delete from Canvas, click on the options to the right of the assignment and choose 'Delete' from the list that appears.
This action will remove the content from both the gradebook and your assignments.